With this in mind, New York State offers free or reduced fee sporting license/privileges for a number of groups, including the following:
• Active-duty military members
• Military veterans with 40% or more service-related disability
• Juniors (15 and under)
• Persons with Disability
• Native American members of select tribes
• Full-time nonresident students attending a New York College/University
• Seniors (ages 70+)
The requirements vary by category. For senior citizens, 70 years and older who are New York State residents, they are eligible for the following:
• $5 each fishing, hunting and trapping licenses
• Free bowhunting and muzzeloading privileges ($5 base hunting license is required)
In order to qualify, the required documents/proof are:
• For hunting licenses/privileges or trapping license: an appropriate hunter education program certificate or previous license/privilege;
• Proof of NYS residency.
Eligible Schuyler County seniors can get their reduced-fee licenses at the Schuyler County Clerk’s Office, 105 Ninth Street, Watkins Glen, New York, as well as at several town offices and businesses throughout the county. A complete list of approved locations can be found at the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation website.
Hunting and fishing in Schuyler County and New York State offer a wealth of outdoor recreational opportunities. Purchasing a free or reduced fee license for these activities is an excellent way for seniors to support New York's wildlife management efforts and remain active in our great outdoors.