The plan comprises nearly seventy actions to be taken by the court system in eliminating barriers to justice for such court users, including:
• enhancing court interpreter recruitment, training and assessment; optimizing the use of interpreting resources;The full strategic plan is available here.
• ensuring language access in other parts of the courthouse in addition to the courtroom;
• more effectively responding to the diverse needs of the deaf and hard-of-hearing community;
• raising public awareness about the services provided by the courts’ Office of Language Access; and
• ensuring language access in New York’s Town and Village Courts.