The following is the 2015 list of the top ten consumer complaints by category:
1. Internet (privacy issues; spyware; consumer frauds)
2. Automobile (buying, leasing, repair, service contracts, rentals)
3. Consumer-Related Services (security systems; restaurant/catering services; tech repairs)
4. Landlord/Tenant Disputes (Security deposit releases, tenant-harassment)
5. Credit(debt collection; credit card billing; debt settlement; payday loans; credit repair; credit reporting agencies; identity theft)
6. Utilities (Wireless and Residential Phones; Energy Servicers & Suppliers; Cable and Satellite)
7. Home Repair/Construction (home improvement services not delivered or done poorly)
8. Retail Sales (any sale of goods: food, clothing, rent-to-own)
9. Mortgage (mortgage modifications; mortgage and loan broker fraud (foreclosures)
10. Mail Order (purchases made online or from a catalog).
If you feel you have been the victim of a scam, you can file complaints by completing and submitting a Consumer Bureau Online Complaint Form or calling the New York State consumer frauds line at 1-800-771-7755.
For more on the top ten scams and a list of tips consumers should use to protect themselves and their families, click here.